Light and Darkness:


Original goodness, love, creation, Divinity, has given the start.  Yet it remains, darkness exists.  This isn’t just cosmic problem either.  Light and darkness both exist in me, in you, in all.  I believe the trajectory is that, we and all came from goodness, and the goal is that all is headed towards redemption or goodness, but what to make of the suffering along the way?  When I ponder myself, I sometimes see pieces that have potentially caught a glimpse of the light, but right next to that is doubt, obsessions, shame and discouragement.  Whatever I call God, or Ultimate Reality then, has to be able to hold and ultimately be able to overcome this tension.  I believe that the way God deals with darkness or trouble has tremendous implications on how we can approach it.  So if I imagine God standing over me, seeing light, but seeing the parts I’m not so proud of, what is God to do?  I believe God loves it all.  Loves my lighter side, but loves the dark side too.  Not because God loves the darkness in and of itself, or loves what it does to me or others, but loves it because it is a part of me.  There is not part of me that God doesn’t love.  There is no part of you that God doesn’t love.  How else could God hold us?  How else could we trust that if we bring our difficulties and addictions into his light that it will be met with love, acceptance, forgiveness and grace?  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog